Boston Area Farmers Markets: 2011
April 27, 2011
It’s been a very rainy April this year in Boston: over 4 inches have fallen thus far, with a bit more likely before the month is over (last April we got under 2 inches). It’s what we’ve heard is supposed to happen this month. April is wet, and then, just when you can’t stand it any more, things turn beautiful. If you’ve been around the greater Boston area in the past few days, you’ve likely already noticed this phenomenon coming to pass: flowers are blooming, tree buds are blossoming, green shoots are appearing in spots which before were dominated by browns and grays. It’s official: May is upon us.
- Monday, May 2nd: South Boston, Boston, MA. Open Mondays from 12:00pm to 6:00pm. It’s a small market, but I believe it’s the first to open. It’s located at 446 West Broadway St., right next to the Bank of America. Accessible via the Red Line (Broadway stop) or the 9 and 10 bus.
- Tuesday, May 17th: Copley Square, Boston, MA. Open Tuesdays and Fridays from 11:00am to 6:00pm. The market is located right on Copley Square, at Boylston St. and Dartmouth St. in Boston. Accessible via any Green Line train (Copley stop) or Orange Line train (Back Bay), as well as any Commuter Rail trains or buses that stop at Back Bay. Bus routes that stop at Copley include the 9, 10, 39, and 55.
- Sunday, May 22nd: Charles Square Farmers Market, Cambridge, MA. Open Sundays 10:00am to 3:00pm and Fridays (starting June 3rd) from 12:00pm to 6:00pm. The Market is located at Bennett St. and Eliot St. in Cambridge, right on the plaza of the Charles Hotel. Accessible via the Red Line (Harvard stop), as well as any bus routes that stop in the area, including the 1, the 66, 71, 73, 77, and 86.
- Monday, May 23rd: Central Square, Cambridge, MA. Open Mondays from 12:00pm to 6:00pm. The Market is located in the parking lot on the corner of Norfolk St. and Bishop Allen Dr., behind Harvest Co-op Market. Accessible via the Red Line (Central stop), as well as any bus routes that service Central, including the 1, the 47, the 70, and the 91.
- Wednesday, May 25th: Davis Square, Somerville, MA. Open Wednesdays from 12:00pm to 6:00pm. The Market is located at Day St. and Herbert St., right around the corner from Redbones. Accessible via the Red Line (Davis stop), as well as any bus routes that service the area, including the 87, 89, 90, and 96.
- Thursday, May 26th: Dewey Square, Boston, MA. Open Tuesdays and Thursdays from 11:30am to 6:30pm. The market is located at Atlantic Ave & Summer St. in Boston, right across the street from South Station. Accessible via the Red Line (South Station stop), as well as the Silver Line, any commuter rail train that services South Station, and bus routes such as the 4 and the 7.
- Saturday, June 4th: Union Square, Somerville, MA. Open Saturdays from 9:00am to 1:00pm. The market is located at Somerville Ave. and Washington St. in Somerville. It’s accessible mostly by bus: the 85, 86, 87, 91, and CT2 all stop right next to it.